Thursday 20 January 2011

Betterdays Redux / Baby Charles - Invisible - Hip Drop Records

Welcome back!

I hope you're all well and good as we roll on towards a long awaited (cue whoops!) FOUR day weekend, as well as the return of our monthly night at The Vestry? For me, this is not an entirely good thing, as it seems I'm still recovering from the secret Betterdays party we dropped at Canal 125 in North London on this Saturday just gone by!!


The (dimly lit) Dancefloor from Saturday


I hooked up with DJs El Guiri and Dr No, where we took over the upper floor of the bar. Sadly, for all concerned the forth corner of The Betterdays square, Disco Fran went missing in action and was unable to make it! However a fantastic up for it crowd showed and saw the dance floor nicely packed by the middle of the night! It was geat to see our old regulars out in force along with some new faces thrown in for good measure! Watch this space for details of our next impromptu soirée!

After leaving a messy after party at sunrise, I headed home for a couple of hours of much needed sleep, ensuring I set my alarm to make it over to a record fair I'd had my eye on for a spot of digging. This proved a pretty fruitful trip, and I'll be duely digitising and readying my new finds for inclusion here.



So on to business and the 45 I bring you today is something I scored recently, curtisy of my Hook & Sling DJ partner in crime, Hoppin' John. Always a man of impecable taste, he threw his spare copy of 'Invisible' by Baby Charles my way several weeks back, nicely filling the gap in my collection!



'Invisible' is the B-side of their 2006 debut 45, 'No Controlling Me'. This cut is an up front guitar led funk jam that certainly does the business on the dancefloor! Dionne Charles drops some powerful vocals over the tight guitar led backing track. Check out the tidy fatback drumming through-out and the cheeky horn rises, great stuff! All in all this is definitely a must own 45, and if like me you were slow off the mark, you can still grab it HERE.

Stay safe, enjoy today's 45 and don't forget to bring your dancing shoes this Saturday as we return to The Vestry for The Hook & Sling.

Download Baby Charles - Invisible HERE





No comments: