Thursday 20 January 2011

“Open Up Your Heart, Stretch Out Your Arms”

Welcome back!

I hope you’re all well?

As we reach the end of another working week I return here to share some of the spoils of my most recent digging spree from earlier this week with you.

Around these parts the beginning of the month always coincides with two interstellar happenings, our monthly night at The Vestry and Payday. When these two lunar events occur it always prompts me to put on my digging shoes and head out into the field and comb my favourite spots for some new treasures to drop at the night.


Lyn Collins – Think (About It) Jukebox inserts


After hitting up two record dealers in the capital I managed to score a healthy grip of 45s from an under the counter stash. It contained several interesting items including a sheet of 10 perforated vintage Jukebox labels for Lyn Collins - 'Think (About It)' on People records, which will eventually look great framed in the record room.



Amongst that same haul was the 45 that I bring you today. Darrell Banks massive Northern Soul stomper, ‘Somebody (Somewhere Needs You)’, which has been on my wants list for sometime now, ever since hearing it on his ‘Darrell Banks Is Here’ LP.

Released on the Revilot record label in 1966, the track is an energetic uptempo affair and was Darrell Banks second 45. It was the follow up to ’Open The Door To Your Heart’ / ‘Our Love (Is In The Pocket), a 45 I previously featured on these very pages.

‘Somebody (Somewhere Needs You)’ didn’t quite make the same splash as his first single, only achieving #34 on the R&B charts and then #55 when it hit the Pop Charts.

Tight horns and a great conga back track compliment Banks soulful vocals down to a tee, proving just why he has become a Northern Soul favourite. I’m really looking forward to dropping this over the big sound system for our dancers tomorrow night. If you’re in the area roll by and join us. More details and directions can be found on the EVENTS tab at the top of the page.



Stay safe, enjoy the 45 and I’ll be back after the weekend with something cool for you!


No comments: