Thursday 20 January 2011

We interrupt this broadcast....

First up a big thanks to all who made it on Saturday, especially Risk and all the breakers who made it an extremely enjoyable night with some seriously heavy weight moves!! We look forward to seeing them return to our night in the near future.

It’s currently complete pandemonium at ‘Casa del Hook And Sling’ as I have builders moving in for the next few days to carry out some long awaited serious wall demolishing and building work. This wouldn’t be such a problem if it wasn’t taking place in the very room where my entire record collection, turntables and recording equipment is housed!!



THE BIG MOVE BEGINS




This ensured Monday evening was spent re-homeing my precious hoard into boxes and flight cases and stowing everything away to ensure it all remains dust and debris free. The other downside to this whole annoying escapade is that apart from messing up my extremely anal filing system, it also means that there may well be a (hopefully brief) interruption to my blogging output here (although due to my recent slackness this may well go undetected!!)

So to tide you over until my return, I’ve raided my emergency stash to bring you a few goodies to see you through the next week. Enjoy!


Marvelettes – I’ll Keep On Holding On – Tamla


This Marvelettes 1965 Tamla stomper is pretty difficult to turn up in good condition at the moment. This is another 45 that’s being championed by Hoppin’ John at our night.




Richard Berry & the Pharaohs – Louis Louis – Flip


This is the original version of the track that has been covered by more bands than I’ve had hot dinners! IMHO this is the best version and is a real toughie to get hold of on Flip Records.




The New Mastersounds Featuring Sulene Fleming– Turn This Thing Around – Deep Funk Records


Where to begin with this cut? Lifted from the LP Keb Darge Presents The New Mastersounds on Deep Funk Records from 2001. This is an absolute killer with Sulene Fleming on vocals with the four piece from Leeds. Top stuff and well worth keeping an eye open for a copy.



No comments: