Thursday 20 January 2011

Guest Mix – Ed Meme (The Impellers) – Ed Meme’s Mixed Platter

Welcome back soul children!

I hope you’re all well and managed to catch last weeks fantastic guest mix from Larry Grogan? It’s been on constant rotation here at Hook & Sling HQ, as have the other frankly brilliant guest contributions from the last few weeks! We’re not done just yet though so hold tight!

Apologies for the unplanned downtime for some of the downloads, the extra traffic over the last few weeks has caused one of my DivShare accounts to max out! This should be back on track in a few days, in the meantime if there are any particular files you are desperate to get your hands on you can always contact me and I will do my best to help!

A short while back I mentioned that I had been working on something special and things seem to have come together enough to let you all in on the loop!
We have finally put all the details together and have joined forces with Brighton based funk giants, The Impellers to put on our first Hook and Sling Soul Weekender! Anyone unfamiliar with the band should proceed immediately HERE to listen to them via the player on their MySpace page.

It’s a little way off at the moment but these things always creep up pretty quickly! Friday 5th February 2010 will see us supporting The Impellers at our new haunt The Vestry in Chichester, West Sussex. The weekend continues with our usual monthly offering of Funk and Soul 45s on Saturday 6th February 2010, joining us as special guest DJ will be Ed Meme, the guitarist and writer from The Impellers. Sunday 7th February 2010 will see us hosting a soul all-dayer, kicking off at 12pm and going on through till the early evening. Special Guest DJ’s for the Sunday include Eddie Stenner, the man behind the fantastic Sussex By The Sea Soul nights. I’m also working on a few other guests for the weekend which will be announced once they are confirmed.

We’re all incredibly excited about this so pen those dates into your spanky brand new diaries for 2010 because this should be a great weekend!



That makes a nice segue into today’s guest mix! Whilst arranging the forthcoming Weekender I managed to persuade Ed Meme to take some time out from his extremely busy schedule and lay down a new guest mix for us here! The result is just over 45 minutes of solid goodness!



Those of you residing on the South Coast of England can catch Ed Meme spinning the platters that matter at his monthly night, Sweat Shop in Brighton. The night is on a brief hiatus at the moment but check the website for forthcoming dates as they appear.

So here we go with another storming guest selection. Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for the one and only Ed Meme…..



Greetings one, greetings all.

My name is Ed Meme from The Impellers on Freestyle Records.

I was very honoured indeed to be asked by The Hook & Sling to do this mix and spent a ludicrous amount of time working out what I was going to put on here.

So in the end I went for some tracks I've been playing out for ages which are huge favourites of mine; some new stuff which has caught my ear recently; and finally some tracks which have inspired me in writing for our recent album 'Robot Legs'.

Hope it pushes the right buttons for you.

Cheers,

Ed Meme - The Impellers

Track List


Wee Willie & The Winners – Wipe Your Feet & Dance (Mercury)

The Bar Kays – Knucklehead (Volt)

Georgie Fame – Somebody Stole my Thunder (Stardust)

The Cal Jenkins Review – The Cut Off (Kef Records)

The Impellers – Ed Meme’s Super Soul Boogalootion (Freestyle)

The Fatback Band – I Gotta Learn How to Dance (Polydor)

Eli “Paperboy” Reed – It’s Easier (Q-Dee)

The Bacao Rhythm & Steel Band – Pimp (Mocambo)

Ray Barretto – Hard Hands (Fania)

Ray Camacho & The Teardrops – Let’s Boogie (Freestyle)

Baby Charles – Back of My Hand (Record Kicks)

Bobby Byrd – I Need Help (I Can’t Do it Alone) Pt.1 (King)

Count Sidney & His Jukes – Do Your Stuff (Goldband)

Ian Dury & The Blockheads – Wake Up & Make Love With Me (Stiff Records)

The Supremes & The Four Tops – Love the One You’re With (Motown)

Download Ed Meme’s Mixed Platter HERE


No comments: