Thursday 20 January 2011

Mr Double Down & The Popcorn King Present The Sunday Soul Sessions

Welcome back!

I hope the new week finds you all well and good?

I'm currently typing this as I start my second week stuck away from Hook & Sling HQ on business, seemingly imprisoned in the village that time forgot! What initially looked on paper like a good opportunity to get away from the hustle and bustle of busy London life, has it seems turned into a bit of a nightmare!

I find myself in a place we'll call Dullsville, in a backwards hotel room with four, yes thats right count them all, four terrestrial TV channels and no internet connection! Thank God for pubs with Wi-Fi! The final kick in the danglers was the lack of even a remote control for the aforementioned antiquated TV, so my limited channel surfing has to be done stood up!!

Thank god for my trusty laptop and iphone which I've loaded up with funk and soul, as well as a grip of autobiographies by Messieurs Wesley, Womack and Green I've been reading to keep me from losing my sanity here!

Fortunately I was able to make it back home over the weekend, where aside from enjoying some mod-cons and time with friends, I also managed to crowbar in a stretch with my records! Sunday saw part time Hook & Slinger, The Popcorn King joining me for another joint mix, which will hopefully see you through till my return back home. His visits always turn out some tasty Soul treats so I'm sure you'll find something within that hits the spot nicely!

Before I go I want to hip you all to the revamp of Bold Soul Brother, which has seen a surge of activity over the past few weeks. Head on over and check out the wares my good friend Rich has on offer!

Don't forget we return this Saturday 7th November to The Vestry in Chichester, West Sussex for our monthly Hook & Sling Funk and Soul outing. As always all the details can be found in the tabs at the top of the page, so if you're in the area drop by and say hello! Until then, enjoy today's mix and I'll be return here as soon as I make it back to civilization!



Track List


Mr Double Down


Bobby Peterson - Piano Rock -V-Tone Records

Joe Turner And His Blues Kings - Feelin' Happy - Atlantic

The Popcorn King


The Larks - The Jerk - Money Hollywood

Lightnin' Hopkins - Move On Out Pt2 - Jewel Records

Mr Double Down


Ruby & The Party Gang - Hey Ruby (Shut Your Mouth) - Law-ton Records

Syl Johnson - Dresses Too Short - Twinight Records

The Popcorn King


Solomon Burke - I Can't Stop - Bell Records

Little Richard - I'm Back - Modern Records

Mr Double Down


Rose Mitchell - Baby Please Don't Go - Roseann (Jukebox Jam Series)

Soul Brothers Six - She's Some Kind Of Wonderful - Atlantic

The Popcorn King


Ollie And The Nightingales - Girl You Have My Heart Singing - Stax

Linda Jones - I Can't Stop Loving My Baby - Loma

Mr Double Down


The Music Makers - United Pt1 - Gamble Records





No comments: