Tuesday 18 January 2011

Guest Mix - Vincent The Soul Chef - Fufu Stew's Baker's Dozen

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you a special announcement by Vincent The Soul Chef from FuFu Stew…… Hello, kiddies. It's a real pleasure to hang out with you all today. Thanks once again for the invite to spin 45s at The Brown Sugar Bar. I really wish I could just jump in my truck and drive to England right now but alas, reality sets in (and a large body of water separates us)... I definitely hope to be able to visit you guys one day real soon and join in on the Hook And Sling fun, but in the meantime for your dining and dancing pleasure, here's a baker's dozen of some of my favourite 45s for you and your readers. There's some new scores and some that I've had in my crates for a long time.

Here's the menu...



introspeak by Sharon Jones(Desco)

01 The Nitty Gritty-Gladys Knight & The Pips (Soul).



This is one of those classic tunes that I've been nodding my head to ever since I was a child. Needless to say, I had to replace the original 45 with this minty fresh copy for obvious reasons... Norman Whitfield's patented “Psychedelic Soul” shines bright on this one

02 I Want To Take You Higher-Ike & Tina Turner With The Iketts (Liberty).



I have to admit that this reading of Sly & The Family Stone's classic hit is way funkier than the original, especially when Ike takes over with the guitar chops.

03 Don't Lose Your Groove-Lavell Hardy (Rojac).



An incredible slice of raw soul here. I have a habit of buying 45s solely on the strength of the label. I knew that Third Guitar's “Baby Don't Cry” was also released on Rojac, so I just couldn't go wrong with this one.

04 Lunar Funk-The Fabulous Counts (Moira).



It may sound strange to say that this jam took over thirty years to become an instant classic, but since its inclusion on the Funk Drops Compilation back in 2002, this rarity finally got the recognition it deserves...

05 The Gallop-The Chevelles (Flaming Arrow).



Here's one in the tradition of that very famous dance the Horse.

06 It's Your Thing-Dennis Coffey & The Lyman Woodward Trio (Maverick).



A classic rendition of the Isley Brothers standard by one of Motown's legendary Funk Brothers. This could very well be called the prototype for one of funk’s most famous 45s, Scorpio, thanks to the drum and bass break.

07 My Babe-Willie Mitchell (Hi).



I am always a sucker for anything that Poppa Willie does, and this reading of Little Walter's famous blues has to be one of the funkiest...

08 Speed Ticket-Inez & Charlie Foxx (Dynamo).



After three years of searching for this rare track, I am proud to finally own a copy. I have to ask this question though, why is Charlie trying to outrun a fire truck?!?

09 I Don't Know How To Say I Love You (Don't Walk Away)-The Superlatives (Westbound).



You've gotta admit that this is arguably one of the funkiest Northern Soul sides to come out of Detroit Rest in peace George Jones...

10 Workout Stevie, Workout-Little Stevie Wonder (Tamla).



Here's another tune that I've had in the crates for decades as an LP, but recently I scored this nice clean 45 whose B side I featured in a mix a few weeks back. A nice gospel infused groove that's sure to get the crowd jumping.

11 Run Joe-Freddie Scott(Shout).



Here's one from the playbook of one of the true architects of R&B, the mighty Louis Jordan.

12 Love Vibrations-David T. Walker (Zea).



Keeping the tempo from the previous number is a tune from the legendary guitarist, most famous for his work with Paul Humphrey and his Cool Aid Chemists as well as Afrique / The Chubukos (House Of The Rising Funk).

13 The Meditation-TNT Band (Cotique).



I have to thank DJ Prestige for hipping me to this great Latin number. The quality of the 45 may be a little sketchy, but there's no denying the fact that it's a phenomenal slice of boogaloo.

exitus by the Soul Command (Soul Fire)

Please download and enjoy Fufu Stew's Baker's Dozen, an mp3 file, 33 MB

In closing, I must give mad thanks and show my love to all of the wonderful DJs and bloggers that I have come in contact with since I launched Fufu Stew last year, for it is the invaluable education that I received from them that got me started in this game they call crate digging. Now if I only knew this much about 45s back when my mom and my uncles gave me their old records as a child...

You're always welcome to drop by and visit Fufu Stew and Fufu Snax for a very wide and eclectic assortment of mixes and other assorted goodies that's sure to satisfy even the most finicky of musical tastes. Have fun and as always, be safe.

Vincent The Soul Chef

No comments: