Tuesday 18 January 2011

just keep on doin' it, doin' what your doin'

So we're just one step away from freedom and the beginning of the holidays. And just like Steve McQueen, the tunnels are all dug and I'm about to make my great escape!

This could be my last post of the year due to other commitments, but rest assured The Hook And Sling will be back as strong as ever in 2008. We've plenty of new articles and mixes for you, as well as our monthly funk and soul excursion at The Brown Sugar Bar In London. Watch out for some exciting guest Dj's next year, kicking off with Dj Blueprint from Luxembourg in February.

funkysuperfly.jpg


So on with the show folks, and today’s selection is 'Funky Superfly' by Bobby Williams.

BW.jpg


It seems as though back in the early seventies when James Brown was just getting into the swing of things, everyone was looking around thinking "Damn! This guy's really onto something!" And so began a long line of JB imitators, some of whom I have already mentioned in previous articles. Generally I abide by that old saying ' Innovate, Don't Imitate’ but with this 45 I'll make an exception. Once you hear Bobby Williams announce the intro "FUNKY SUPERFLY!!...1....2....3....HIT IT!!" you know you've stumbled across something special. The first time I heard this I think I just about had to scrape my jaw up from the floor.

bobbywilliamsmtvh.jpg


There are it appears, two different pressings of this on different labels, Duplex Records and MTVH. I believe the MTVH cut is from his same titled album 'Funky Superfly', which seems to always command a high price when it appears for sale. Both are slightly different versions of the tune, with the Duplex copy I own (having unfortunately been attacked with a biro) being rawer and heavier in my opinion. It also seems to be much more bass led than it's MTVH counterpart. I have included the MTVH cut of the record HERE , so you can make up your own minds as to which is superior. And I'd also be interested to hear your views on it too, so don't be shy!

Anyway that brings me to the end of this post, and I wish you all a happy holiday and thank you for all your support in 2007.



No comments: