Thursday 20 January 2011

Guest Mix - Planet Mondo - 'Dial M For Mondo'

It’s finally the end of the week and I’m excited for two reasons, firstly we return to The Brown Sugar Bar in Central London tomorrow for our ongoing monthly funk and soul night. All the details can be found by clicking on the page tabs above. Going by our previous outings it should be a great night and I know from speaking to The Popcorn King and Hoppin’ John that there will be some great new finds premiered on Saturday, so don’t sleep on it.

Secondly, we finally get to drop a new guest mix from my fellow Londoner Dave of Planet Mondo fame. His Blog is fantastic and is always a constant source of new music and info. We’ve decided to do what I like to call a little ‘Soul Exchange’. So once you’re all done here head on over to Planet Mondo for my contribution to his great ongoing ‘Funky Friday’ series.

So without further ado its time to ‘Dial M For Mondo’…..



Hello hookers, slingers, bloggers and bloggettes - Well, first off I'd like to say thanks to Mr Double Down for giving me the chance to jump in and jam on his blockrocking blog.

So what is 'Dial M For Mondo' all about then? Well as the banner on my cyberspace scrapbook - Planet Mondo reads 'Anything Goes And It’s All Going On' - meaning I've always thought you gets your funk where you finds it.....

Whether it's rock ‘n’ soul (Rare Earth), freak funk (Marsha Hunt), cool covers (Ananda Shankar, Lou Rawls, Peggy Lee), northern nuggets (Luther Ingram, The Exciters, The Younghearts) or full frontal funk assaults from heavy hitting hammond and/or horn sections (Wynder K Frog, Electric Flag, Shirley Scott). If it’s a 'Tap Footer' (as the Alan Hawkshaw tune's titled) should it really matter where you've dug your treasure and had your pleasure?

With this in mind I've tried to pull together a fistful of sizzlers, stompers and shakers that blend and build into a kaleidoscope of the cool, cranky and cracking. So please fill your boots and perhaps pop on over to Planet Mondo for more ‘Mondo Mania’.

You can download the ‘Dial M For Mondo Mix’ right here

Track List

Lets All Make Love In London (intro)

Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate

Marsha Hunt – (Oh No!)Not the Beast Day

The Exciters - Blowing Up My Mind

Little Milton - More and More (on loan from Roman Empress)

The Isley Brothers - Get Into Something

Amanda Shankar - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Wynder K Frog – Bad Eye

Peggy Lee - Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay

Lou Rawls - The Letter

Little Richard - I Don't Want To Discuss It

M.V.Ps - Turnin My Heartbeat Up

The Younghearts - A Little Togetherness

Luther Ingram - If It's All The Same To You Babe

Electric Flag - Soul Searchin

Shirley Scott & The Soul Saxes - Get Back

No comments: