Thursday 20 January 2011

Mr Double Down Presents A Song You’ve Heard Before

I hope the end of the week finds you all well and good! This has been a productive week for me as I’ve managed to crowbar in some serious digging with a trip to a record fair as well as hitting two of my favourite spots (payday comes but once a month!!)

Today’s selection has been in the pipe line for sometime now. I originally intended it as ‘Soul And Funk Legends Mix’, but as I pulled the 45s out for it, it became increasingly more difficult to complete as the list of legends grew and grew. I didn’t want to omit anyone of importance and a mix tape the length of the bill board top 100 just isn’t practical, so a quick rethink resulted in a new theme – Great songs by great artists that you all know (and hopefully love?)

This is the musical equivalent of comfort food. The majority of these tracks often seem to get overlooked, this may be due to them being overplayed or a little too obvious. Rarity isn’t a factor as most can be easily obtained with a little leg work, and there isn’t anything here that will really set you back too much money!

I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I did putting it together!



Track List


Aretha Franklin – Respect – Atlantic

James Brown – Soul Power Pt 1 – King

Maceo And The Macks – Cross The Tracks (We Better Go Back) – People

Bobby Byrd – I Know You Got Soul – King

Lyn Collins – Think (About It) – People

Marva Whitney – It’s My Thing – King

Gil Scott Heron - The Bottle – Champagne Records

Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band – Express Yourself – Warner Bros.

Curtis Mayfield – Superfly – Curtom

Otis Redding – Hard to Handle – Atco

Wilson Pickett – Land Of A 1000 Dances – Atlantic

Sam And Dave – Soul Man – Stax

Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours – Tamla Motown

Sam Cooke - Chain Gang – RCA

Jackie Wilson – Higher And Higher – MCA Soul Bag

Bill Withers – Lovely Day – Columbia

Marvin Gaye – Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) – Tamla Motown





No comments: